Also known as Tsuruga Castle, Aizu Wakamatsu was entrusted to Gamo Ujisato by the National Unifier Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1590. Ujisato played a major strategic role in suppressing the Date clan in the north, and threatening Tokugawa Ieyasu’s rear flank. Originally a seven-story tenshu was constructed and fitted with impressive gold-leaf covered roof tiles. However, around 1624-44, it was reduced to a five-tiered tower following reconstruction due to earthquake damage. In the Edo period, Aizu Wakamatsu’s walls extended some 6 km to the castle town, with 16 protective gates. During the Boshin War of 1868-69, the castle received a great deal of battle damage. 15 of the gates, and most structures were lost, only the ishigaki remains in original condition. The current tenshu was rebuilt in 1965 based on old photographs and records.