Tokugawa Ieyasu was offered the eight provinces of the Kanto region, and made his base in Edo from 1590. In 1603, upon becoming Shogun, he established his Shogunate there. Edo Castle was completed by assigning construction works to various daimyo. The shoguns Hidetada and Iemitsu continued improving and expanding Edo Castle, and so the Shogun’s residence reached an unprecedented scale in the history of Japanese castles. Edo Castle’s Nishi-no-maru, Momijiyama and Fukiage baileys are now the Imperial Palace, parts of the Honmaru, Ni-no-maru and San-no-maru baileys are open to the public as the Imperial Palace East Gardens. The Kita-no-maru now houses the Nippon Budokan and Science and Technology Museum. The remaining stone walls and moats are protected as a special historic site and convey the vast scale of Edo Castle.