In 1609, Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered 20 former rival Toyotomi clan allied daimyo to commence the construction of a huge castle in Nagoya. Between 1610 and 1616 the nearby Kiyosu Castle was decommissioned and all residents, shrines and temples were forcibly moved to Nagoya. The well-designed castle features the main Honmaru bailey in the center, with the Ni-no-maru to the east, the Ofuke-maru in the northwest, the Nishi-no-maru to the southwest, and the Sanno-maru along the south. In addition to the huge main tenshu on the north western corner of the Honmaru, there were four three-story yagura, and seven more two-story yagura, very few watchtowers for a castle of its size. The tenshu, Honmaru Goten Palace and other structures were destroyed in World War II air raids. The tenshu was rebuilt in 1959 and is currently closed, being processed for an authentic reconstruction, the Honmaru Goten Palace was completely restored in 2018.